Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Shapes: The Building Blocks

Cedar Fork Second Graders and Geometry
While watching this video I was pleased once again to see how well hands on activities work.  In the video the administrator talks about the need for students to understand the language.  It truly is important for students to be able to talk about math.  They need to understand the terms and be able to ask specific questions.  The building of the shapes really helps students to understand the shapes.  Once again we are shown how much benefit there is in cooperative learning.  This practice not only helps students get better at math but it also enhances their communication skills.

I found some videos on YouTube that simplify the process of comparing shapes and finding proof of similarity.  The video I am including shows how to determine if a pair of triangles are angle-side-angle congruent.  I liked the videos because they are geared toward young children.


Here is a reference sheet for students to help them learn what the different polygons are.

I found a website that I want to keep for future reference with some wonderful free worksheets.  I thought I would share: http://www.superteacherworksheets.com/geometry.html

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love the website with the worksheets. It is an excellent reference. I put it in my Diigo.
    The video you posted also is an excellent tool for younger children. Thank you so much for the wonderful tools.

    ReplyDelete