Monday, July 25, 2011

Please wait while I find a calculator....

Working in the service industry you would think figuring out tip percentages would come fast and easy to me.  The reality is I am always scrambling for a calculator to figure out what the tip for my total bill should be.  People often have tried to rattle off quick tips to no avail.

Finally I have sought out a website that has shown me some really great tips to use.  Using 10% as the base for the tip makes the computing easier.  Once you figure out your tip based on 10% you can have it and add another half on top of it for 15%.  You can also double, triple, and so on to get 20% and above.

The simplest tip I found at this website: click here was moving the decimal one place to the left of the total to find the 10% tip.

You can use this with or without actual change.  For example take an even $10 and move the invisible decimal point over to the left one place.  This gives us $1 for a 10% tip.  To give 15% we can add half of our result back to our result to get $1.50.  Or we can double and triple it to get 20% = $2 or 30% = $3.

I am going to work on using this technique at work and when I am out in the world needing to leave a tip.  I think the more I practice, eventually it will be second nature and I wont be scrambling to find a calculator.


No comments:

Post a Comment