Tuesday, July 26, 2011

How many cups are in a quart?

When cooking I often find myself asking questions like this.  Usually I think I know the right answer but feel the need to double check with a source.  Often times I pull out my trusty iPhone and Google the question.  Wouldn't it be wonderful if it was made sure that all children memorized these basics?  The sad truth is not all of us do but it is never too late.  I know as a future teacher I want to find fun little tricks to keep the attention of my students.  It is important to offer a variety of memorization options to a variety of learning types.  While searching the web for some resources on this I found several helpful sites.

Here we have Mr. Gallon.  I love this image because it really speaks to the visual learner.  It visually breaks down the relationship between cups, pints, quarts, and gallons.  I think this, or a similar illustration would be very helpful to hang in the classroom.  I also feel it would be beneficial as a laminated handout for each student to keep.

I found Mr. Gallon at this site along with some other tips.

For students who prefer remembering an acronym they can always use Great Queens Pick Clean Okra.  This is a great way to remember the order from biggest to smallest and also includes ounces.  


No comments:

Post a Comment